In light of my birthday happening this past week, I am going to share short lessons that I have learned in my life. I just turned 28, so lets narrow it down to one lesson a year.
The order does not signify importance. I am not doing this on a scale. Some of these might be tidbits/facts on my life.
1. If my family had had a video camera for the first 10 years of life I would have loved to see that footage. But I am grateful for the pictures.
2. The first thing I ever put on paper was a pink sheet that said, ” I’m Unique!”. (when I was 9 years old) I put on it that when I grow up I want to be writer(I think that has come true)
3. Working hard at everything that I do has been a trait that has carried me all of my life. My Sophomore year of highschool I was named the hardest working player on my ice hockey team. Something that was later said to me in other times in life.
4. I have worked 23 jobs in the past 12 years. My favorite of them all was Trader Joes. The first time in 2009 was here in California, and the second time was in Leawood Kansas, 2011 to Nov. 2012. I was truly blessed to have been apart of that company.
5. I have learned that in speech, less is better than more words, even if you are trying to be the center of attention.
6. I live by the words of Paul in 1 Cor. 15:10″ I am what I am..by the grace of God!”
7. In my fire in the night internship I started a study in the book of James and now 9 years later, it is probably still my favorite NT book.
8. I still aspire to make a documentary on teens in America. I believe it’s a topic worth talking about.
9. Love is the center of everything. Make every aim to fulfill what Paul says ‘do everything in/with love.’
10. Depression and metal illness is NOT a result of a believer lacking faith or doing something in error with God. The error is in thinking that you are being punished. Faith and science need to be examined and valued in helping others with this struggle.
11. I am unashamed to say I am a fan of Justin Bieber. And much prayer for him is needed.
12. I have noticed a growing trend in movies and television that both reflect a deep darkness in our society. The most popular shows and films deal with a deep sense of ‘good people’ doing horrible, dark and shameful bad things. And it is that thing that gets us hooked into watching it.
13. I have learned that patience comes only by being put in situations where you are constantly inconvenienced by people. That is how it works itself into you.
14. Big speeches are hard to come by in the creative process but I had a couple good ones in high school, both at graduation in 12th grade and ninth, and also at my youth group.
15. Random confession: in the moment of writing this I am listening to Dashboard Confessional. I had recently posted that I am done and don’t miss listening to them but gosh darn it makes me want to write some love poetry.(And the last few have been kind of sort of about that but I never name names or times, you are just gonna have to guess for the rest of your life)
16. If you want to travel the world and do all of that then you simply just have to do it and figure out the practical later on.
17. I have learned that certain named girls have never worked out for me. Not because of them personally but maybe because just the name brings on vibes of bad luck.
18. Top four favorite albums of all time: Mae’s The Everglow, Mat Kearney’s City Of Black And White, Switchfoot’s Hello Hurricane(love you red eyes!) and Cory Asbury’s Let Me See Your Eyes. And Pas Neos’ Who Do You Say I am is becoming the next favorite.
19. Both my parents were flight attendants and my mom still is, so maybe I should try it for a career and answer number 16 with doing it for a living.
20. If anything to be an expert in I would choose faith and depression and mental health. Using scripture and science to speak with power and wisdom on this subject. I want to major in that.
21. Best two movies in the past year: It’s Kind Of A Funny Story and Intouchables.
22. I want to answer the Lord on that day with a response that says, “Lord, I gave you and gave the effort to give you all of my heart, mind and soul to you!”
23. I spent 4 wonderful summers working for ATC. Summer 2012 was by far the most fun and best time at ATC. I got to run a lot: here. And do many other videos capturing the summer. Best job ever!
24. This is my favorite you tube video, here 7 years later.Here.
25. 25 years old means car insurance is lowered but for me it seems to be still kind of high.(California probably!)
26. Everyone should drive a car they never thought they would drive. I got my chance at 19 years old my dad gave me his Mitsubishi 3000GT. And sadly I smacked it into a tree during a snow storm in January 2008, and 9 months later I had to sell it. But it was awesome while I had it.
27. 27 years old has been the most trying and testing/refining year of my life. And here I am one year later alive on the inside, full of peace and joy and most of all, full of hope. The hope is that I can help others who have the same struggles as me, and that is what I aim to do.
28. I recently read Love Wins and all I have to say is that the greatest lesson I have learned is to throw myself on the rock and seek with all of me to understand the character and nature of God. If I make that my aim then I will truly know what love is, and that is what we need.